My Favorite Books on Preserving

After all of your hard work in the garden, be sure to get the best information regarding preserving the fruits of your labor. These are my favorite books on the subject.

My favorite book is The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest by Carol Costenbader. The step-by-step illustrated instructions help anyone create a well-stocked pantry. I find this to be an indespensable kitchen reference for a beginner like me, but I'm sure it would be great for more experienced people as well.

The fourth edition of Putting Food By shows the best ways to can, freeze, pickle, dry, cure, and preserve. It includes the newest canning procedures and processing times along with many great recipes. This book is packed with information on all types of preserving but it also includes tons of information on the science of preserving (why it works and what goes wrong when it doesn't).

Ball Blue Book of Preserving is the classic book on food preparation. I feel like I'm in by grandmother's kitchen when I look at the pages. If nothing else, this book will remind you that many have gone before you in this food preservation journey.