TPP Favorites: Natural Dishwasher Detergent



Conventional dishwasher detergents often contain harmful chemicals that are not fully rinsed off your dishes. These products are often hazardous to the environment as well.

After an extensive review of the the Guide to Healthy Cleaning over at the EWG site, and comparing the prices and consumer reviews of readily available products, here are The Prudent Pantry's top picks for automatic dishwasher detergent.


This is the product I am currently using, and I have been very pleased with the results. A box of 25 tablets is currently $5.09 at Amazon when you order using Subscribe and Save. That makes ecover Zero tabs $.20 per load.



I have also used Seventh Generation dishwasher products with excellent results. This pouch of 45 dish pacs is currently $9.62 at Amazon (this is an add-on item). That makes the Seventh generation dish pacs $.21 per load.
Biokleen Auto Dish Powder - Free And Clear

I have not yet tried this product but after my cost comparison today, and after reading the reviews, I am eager to try it. I like the idea of scooping a powder compared to the waste of wrapping on a tablet or pac. This 2 pound package of Biokleen will clean 64 loads. Amazon currently has this product priced at $12.25, a cost of $.19 per load.


Trader Joe's Next to Godliness Automatic Dishwasher Detergent

I recently had the opportunity to try the Trader Joe's detergent and I have been pleased with the result. This product rates well with the Environmental Working Group and is reasonably priced so you may want to give it a try if you have a Trader Joe's locally.

At my local Trader Joe's this pack of 20 pouches is $4.99, which comes out to $.25 per load.


(I love the convenience of shopping online and I think you will too. The links in this post are my referral links. Read my disclosure policy here.)