Polish Your Shoe Repair Skills

Why buy new shoes when you may be able to fix the old ones? By learning to properly care for your shoes and learning to make minor repairs yourself, you may save a bundle over the course of a year.

Recently, I replaced the heel tips on a pair of black pumps. The shoe uppers were in great shape but the heel tips had worn through to the metal screw. I purchased new tips for just a few dollars on ebay and did the repair myself. It's just a matter of pulling off the old tip with a pliers or pincers, then gently pounding the new tip in place with a hammer. It was simple!


Check out this tutorial at newheeltips.com. You can also purchase heel tips at the site.


On the same pair of pumps, the rubber sole became detached from the shoe upper. I used some shoe glue and glued it myself. Again, so simple. I have worn these classic pumps for many years and they still look great.


I also keep our shoes looking their best by keeping them polished. A little care goes a long way in keeping shoes in great condition. Maybe you really don't need a new pair of shoes. Perhaps you could refurbish or repair instead!