Keep Lemons Fresh Longer


When I buy lemons, I like to set them in a fruit bowl on the kitchen counter. I guess I just like the look of them.

If you store lemons this way, they will keep for about a week as long as they are kept out of direct sunlight. The problem is, my lemons usually sit longer than that and their quality begins to deteriorate.

What I never realized is that if you put those same lemons in the refrigerator, they will keep up to four weeks. A crisper drawer is the best place in the fridge to store them.

So the next time you buy lemons, determine what you can use within a week, then put the rest in the fridge. No more throwing out shriveled lemons!

Did you know you can freeze lemons?

You can either juice the lemon and freeze the juice in an ice cube tray, or freeze the lemon whole. The thawed whole lemon will be mushy but will be easy to juice. Both lemons and lemon juice will keep up to three months in the freezer.