Why I Use Coconut Oil in My Baking


 Even if you don't need to eat dairy-free, using coconut oil in baking is delicious! Just this week, I used coconut oil when making Oatmeal Raisin Cookies and Cinnamon Swirl Bread. It has a slightly sweet flavor, but I don't notice the taste of coconut when I use it in these recipes.

Besides that, there are so many health benefits to baking with coconut oil. If you are interested, you can read about the health benefits at The Nourishing Gourmet and Dr. Mary Enig's site.

When I found coconut oil at my local health food store, I was shocked at the price. Be sure to shop around. But also be sure that you are buying organic extra virgin coconut oil (again, you can read more about that at the links above).

Because of dietary restrictions in our family, I absolutely cannot use dairy or soy in my baking. But even if I didn't have to, I would use coconut oil in much of my baking. It's that good!

This is the coconut oil that I purchase. I find it to be much cheaper to purchase it online than at the local store.