Simple Homemade Salsa


 We eat lots of salsa. So I'm not sure why it took me so long to figure out that homemade salsa is not only less expensive, it is so much better than store-bought salsa.

I know that many of you have an abundance of fresh tomatoes right now, but that's not the case here. I have been making this simple salsa using canned organic tomatoes and it is delicious!

Here's what I used:
First, I put about a third of that bunch of fresh cilantro in the mini-prep food processor and pulsed to chop. Then, I added a small amount of onion. My daughter doesn't care for onion so I use just a small piece for a little flavor. I also chop them up pretty small so they don't bother her.

Then I add the juice from one-half a lime, and one half of a seeded jalepeno pepper. Finally, add the can of diced tomatoes and mix it all up.

You should really let it sit for about 30 minutes to let the flavors blend, but I'm not very good at waiting.

The great thing about homemade salsa is that you can make it just the way you like it--chunky, small chunks, or no chunks. Add more or less onion and pepper to taste.

I'm looking forward to trying other flavor variations, but for now this is the freshest tasting salsa I have had in a long time. Don't let that small bowl of salsa fool you--that was all that was left when I went to take the picture!

Do you make your own salsa? I would love to hear how you make it.