Five Keys to Maintaining the Early-to-Rise Habit



It has now been over two months since the start of the Early-to-Rise challenge at Money Saving Mom. I am sold on the benefits of rising early and I have worked hard to ensure that it's a habit I can maintain.

The early morning hours are the only hours that I have consistently to myself, to use as I would like--to think, to plan, to be productive. I consider it my "prime time".

Here are five things I do to maintain the early-to-rise habit.

Get enough sleep

The best way to get enough sleep is to go to bed early. Getting up early just won't work, if you don't go to bed early. Ben Franklin's quote begins with "Early to bed" for a reason.

Figure out how much sleep you need each night. Be honest with yourself. The last thing you want is to get overly tired and worn out. You will end up getting sick which will defeat the purpose of rising early to be productive.

The number one key to maintaining the early-to-rise habit is to be honest about how much sleep you need, and to make sure that you get it.

Have a reason to get up

The early morning hours are your "prime time". It's your time to do what is really important to you. The possibilities are endless as to how you use your mornings, but decide to use this time doing that which is most important to you. If you are passionate about what you are doing, you will be excited to get up and get going.

Have a plan

Establish your plan before you go to bed. When you have a plan and a reason to get up, you can "hit the ground running" and not have to think about what you are going to do. Don't waste your "prime time" just trying to decide where to begin.

Stretch or Exercise (even a little)

For a variety of reasons, I do my serious exercise later in the day. But I still need to get my body moving in the morning to get the blood pumping and to shake off the sleepiness. Folding some clothes or emptying the dishwasher is enough to get me going so that I be productive. I'm not a morning person by nature, but this little bit of physical activity (and coffee) is enough to get me going.

Drink Water

It sounds so simple, but when I remember to drink a large glass of water first thing in the morning, I feel so much better. Give it a try!

Rising early is a habit worth cultivating, but it's not always easy. I hope these five tips help you to maintain your early-to-rise habit.