Substitutions That Make Dairy-Free Baking a Breeze


Living dairy-free has it's challenges, but baking dairy-free doesn't need to be difficult. Many of your favorite recipes can easily be adjusted to accommodate a dairy-free diet.

Milk
Switching out dairy milk for a dairy-free alternative is easy. Almond milk, rice milk, and coconut milk are widely available and may be substituted for dairy milk in your recipes. We often use almond milk for drinking, but I find that it affects the taste of some baked goods.

My favorite dairy-free milk for baking is coconut milk. I am not referring to the canned coconut milk, but either the refrigerated coconut milk sold in cartons and intended for drinking, or culinary coconut milk such as So Delicious Coconut Milk.

I recently made a batch of cinnamon rolls. I substituted coconut milk in both the dough and the frosting. They were delicious.

Canned coconut milk is higher in fat and may be substituted for cream or half and half. For example, I use canned coconut milk to make dairy free pumpkin pie.

Shortening
When a recipe calls for butter or margarine, choose a dairy-free shortening substitute. My usual choice is coconut oil or olive oil depending on the recipe. Coconut oil is my choice for sweeter items; olive oil for savory breads.

Occasionally, though, I use palm oil shortening. It has a consistency more like butter or shortening which may be desirable for some recipes such as quick breads.

Chocolate Chips
We love chocolate and much of our baking includes chocolate chips. Enjoy Life chocolate chips are not only dairy free, but are free of many other allergens as well. Best of all, they are delicious.

Here are links to some of my favorite sources:

Canned Coconut Milk (if you have a Whole Foods nearby, their brand is very good as well)

Carrington Farms Organic Coconut Oil

Organic Olive Oil

Spectrum Organic Shortening (the butter flavored shortening is good too)

Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mini Chips



Never miss a thing!
Get The Prudent Pantry delivered to your inbox.


(I love the convenience of shopping online and I think you will too. The links in this post are my referral links. Read my disclosure policy here.)