Grow Your Own Sprouts


No need to run to the store when you want nutritious sprouts on your salad or stir-fry. Growing sprouts is something you can do yourself! It's a perfect project for "make-it-from scratch" week.

Sprouts are nutritious, inexpensive, and easy to grow. They can be grown indoors in any climate and they mature in only a few days.

My favorite sprouts are mung beans. I eat them raw on salads and sandwiches, or sometimes by the handful when I want a quick burst of nutrition. They can also be used in stir-fry. Mung bean sprouts are so easy to grow.

Be sure to choose organic seeds suitable for sprouting. I use ¼ cup of seeds in my sprouting tray. Rinse well before soaking.


Soak 8 to 12 hours. I usually just put them in a glass before I go to bed, and they are ready to go in the morning.


I like to use sprouting trays to grow my sprouts. I use the Sprout Master Mini Triple. The set comes with three trays. The trays even have dividers in case you want to grow two different types of sprouts in one tray.


Once the seeds have soaked overnight, simply pour the water and seeds into the sprouting tray (the water will drain out). Rinse the tray thoroughly and distribute seeds evenly across the bottom of the tray.

The mini sprouter comes with four lids. Position one “lid” beneath the tray and also use one on top so that the seeds have darkness. I set my covered tray on the kitchen counter. You will need to rinse the seeds 2 to 3 times per day.

In just a couple of days you will be enjoying fresh, nutritious mung bean sprouts. I prefer to stop the sprouting after 1 to 2 days when the tails are about ½ inch long. You may prefer to let them keep growing for longer sprouts.


When the sprouts have grown to your desired length, simply put the covered tray in the refrigerator. The sprouts should keep for about a week.

It's so easy to grow your own sprouts!




(I love the convenience of shopping online and I think you will too. The links in this post are my referral links. Read my disclosure policy here.)