Dairy Free Pumpkin Soup



For me, nothing says fall like pumpkin soup. I love a hearty cream soup when the weather turns cool.

Since my family has decided that we feel better when we avoid dairy, I came up with a dairy free version. Enjoy!

1 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons olive or coconut oil
4 cups homemade chicken broth
1 (15 ounce) can organic pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup coconut milk

Saute onion in oil in a medium saucepan until tender. Add 2 cups of the chicken broth and stir well. Bring mixture to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat.

Using an immersion blender, process the mixture until smooth.

Return to heat. Add remaining 2 cups of broth, pumpkin, salt, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, and ground pepper. Combine until smooth using an immersion blender. 

Bring the mixture to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Stir in the coconut milk and heat through. Do not boil. 

Ladle into individual soup bowls and enjoy!

For more dairy-free recipes, visit my Dairy Free & Delicious Board on Pinterest.

(I love the convenience of shopping online and I think you will too. The links in this post are my referral links. Read my disclosure policy here.)