Get a perfect hard boiled egg every time using these simple steps.
- Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan. Cover with cold water so that the water level is about an inch above the top of the eggs.
- Turn the burner on high and let the water come to a rolling boil.
- Cover the saucepan and immediately remove from heat. Set a timer for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, drain the hot water from the pan and cover the eggs with cold water. Do this several times to cool both the eggs and the pan.
- I then cover the eggs with cold water and ice cubes.
This is very important.
Placing the eggs in ice water will stop the eggs from cooking (and reduce the chance of a dark green edge on the yolk).
It will also make the eggs easier to peel.
Looking for the perfect way to store or display your hard-cooked eggs?
This ceramic egg crate displays 12 of your eggs in style.
The Ceramic Egg Crate cradles your eggs safely and securely. Perfect for egg storage in fridge or displaying eggs, each crate holds 12 eggs. Choose white or yellow, each sold separately.
(I love the convenience of shopping online and I think you will too. The links in this post are my referral links. Read my disclosure policy here.)