The Secret to Crispy Kale Chips

If you have ever made baked kale chips, you already know that the secret to crispy chips is to start with thoroughly dry kale.

Of course you need to wash the kale, but how do you get the leaves completely dry after washing? The obvious answer is to use a salad spinner, and that's the first step.






Tear the kale leaves from the thick stem.

Dry using a salad spinner.


This is the salad spinner I use.

Now here's the thing. The salad spinner works fine, but to get all the moisture off the kale requires a second step.


Arrange the kale in a single layer on a lint free kitchen towel.


Tightly roll the towel with the kale inside. Gently squeeze the roll as you go to get every drop of water off.


When the kale is completely dry, I put it in a bowl, toss with a small amount of olive oil, and sprinkle with some Himalayan salt.

For spicy chips, I use a mixture of spices (see recipe below).




I like to bake kale in a roasting pan. I prefer the higher sides. The bottom of the pan is lined with parchment paper to prevent sticking.


Bake at 350 degrees until the edges are just brown, not burned, about 15-20 minutes.




Optional Spice Mixture for Spicy Chips:

½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (or less, to taste)
½ teaspoon Himalayan salt



(I love the convenience of shopping online and I think you will too. The links in this post are my referral links. Read my disclosure policy here.)