Culantro Instead of Cilantro?


As a companion post to the Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup recipe that I posted a few days ago, I thought I would write about my adventures in growing cilantro (which, by the way, is a perfect addition to the taco soup).

While I have grown cilantro successfully from seed, I am always surprised at its short life span, particularly in the warm climate in which I live. Before I know it, the plant bolts to seed. The cilantro I started from seed is long past it's prime. In fact, the seeds (corriander) are already dried.

Wanting a photograph to go along with my discussion of cilantro, I stopped at the local garden center this morning. No cilantro, but they did have culantro. The label said that the flavor is similar to cilantro but more pungent--sounded good to me. So I began to search for information about this new (to me) herb.

The culantro leaves are thicker and more succulent than those of cilantro. As a result, the leaves can reportedly be dried or frozen easily. Culantro is widely used throughout the Caribbean, Latin America, and the Far East and is often used interchangably with cilantro.

More information about culantro can be found here and here. Let me know if you have tried growing culantro or have used it in your cooking.