Looking for Books?

You may have guessed by now that I love books! I am always looking for an inexpensive way to add to my collection. One of the first places I look is Paperback Swap. Paperback Swap is not just for paperbacks. They have hardcover and audiobooks as well.

This is how it works: When you sign up, you list 10 books that you are ready to part with. Just for listing the 10 books, you get 2 book credits. If someone requests one of the books you have listed, you accept their request and mail the book via media mail. The cost to you is the cost of shipping your old book (around $2.50, depending on the book's size). You may pay for the postage and print the mailing label online, or print the label without the postage and add it yourself. If you choose to pay for the postage online, you will receive immediate credit for sending the book. Otherwise you will get credit when the receiver marks the book received. For each book you mail, you get a book credit.

When you see a book you would like, you simply request the book. You "pay" for the book with your book credit and another member sends the book to you. You also have the option of purchasing book credits through the site for approximately $3.45 each. However, if you buy several at a time, the price goes down. You can even find other members selling their credits on the discussion boards for an even greater discount.

If you are looking for a particular book that is not currently listed, you can add it to your wish list. You will be put on a waiting list and will receive an email when your "wish has been granted". I highly recommend the wish list system. I have been able to get many books this way without waiting too long.

Using Paperback Swap I have been able to complete several book series for my children, I have found many fiction and nonfiction books for myself and have even found some great workbooks for my kids.

If you think this is something you might use, go to the site and watch the great introductory tutorial. It does a wonderful job explaining how everything works.

I've saved lots of money purchasing books this way. And I feel better knowing that the books I am finished with will be sent to others who will enjoy them. Check it out and let me know how you like it.

Submitted with special thanks to Frugal Fridays.