Hurricane Season

It's hurricane season where I live, which means lots of preparations. Of course the season technically started in June, but nobody really starts thinking about getting ready until we have the first named storm (that would be today--it's Ana).

Whether you live in hurricane country or not, you should always be prepared for severe weather.

The most immediate inconvenience of severe storms is a power outage. I wrote about my favorite power failure lighting options in an earlier post. I really feel that having power failure lighting in a home is a huge comfort and I consider it a must. But beyond the initial loss of power there comes a need for more long term power sources.

There is the need for light, a means of cooking, communication, and the need to get information from radio or television. We'll look at each of these needs in upcoming posts.