Five Frugal Uses for Ice Cube Trays



One of my favorite frugal kitchen tools is the simple ice cube tray. The small sections are the perfect size for freezing many leftovers so that food doesn't go to waste. Once frozen, the individual sections can be popped out and stored in freezer bags. I like covered trays like these OXO Good Grips Ice Cube Trays


Freeze Leftover Stock and Broth
When I made my Winter Harvest Casserole recently, the recipe called for 1 cup of beef broth. I had 32 ounce cartons of broth in the pantry and wanted to be sure the extra didn't go to waste.

The first time I did this, I took one cup of broth and found that it filled 8 of my ice cube sections. I now know that:

8 cubes = 1 cup
4 cubes = 1/2 cup
2 cubes = 1/4 cup
1 cube = 2 tablespoons

This makes it so easy to use the frozen cubes in recipes.

Freeze Fresh Herbs
Whether you grow your own or purchase them in the produce section, don't let the extra herbs go to waste. Simply chop them up and put them in the ice cube tray with a small amount of water or broth. This is a simple way to add herbs to soup--just drop a cube or two in the pot.

Leftover Coffee
Pour whatever is left in your morning pot in the ice cube tray. Frozen coffee cubes make great iced mochas!

Tomato sauce or Paste
The larger cans of tomato sauce or paste are often a much better value than the tiny ones. Don't put a half-empty can back in the refrigerator, freeze the leftovers using the ice cube tray.

Applesauce
Using applesauce in baking can lower the fat content of many recipes but usually you need only a small amount. Instead of purchasing smaller containers, buy a large jar and freeze the extra to use later.


 For more great tips, follow me on Pinterest!

or

Subscribe to get updates delivered to your inbox.
{enter your email address at the top of the page} 

(I love the convenience of shopping online and I think you will too. The links in this post are my referral links. Read my disclosure policy here.)