Make Over Your Morning: Start with a Reasonable Bed Time




A consistent habit of rising early requires a reasonable bed time. This was the most difficult adjustment for me. As I mentioned earlier, I love the time at night when the house is quiet and I am alone with my thoughts. Finally some peace!

But rising early without a complimentary bedtime is asking for trouble. You may be able to do it for a while, but eventually, you will become so sleep deprived you won’t be able to function (ask me how I know).

My day begins at 4:30 am. I know that seems extreme, but if you knew what my day is like beginning at 6:00 am, you would understand. The time before 6:00 am is my time to think, plan, and work on my dreams. It’s the only way these things get done.

To maintain a schedule like this, however, requires a reasonable bedtime and often weekend power naps. A consistent bedtime routine is the first requirement of a successful morning routine.

For me, that means a warm shower, some inspirational reading (usually a review of the morning’s devotional), and lights out by 10:00 pm.

With that, I’m ready to hit the ground when the alarm sounds to begin the new day.

For more of the Make Over Your Morning series: