Make Over Your Morning: Time is Limited



Time is limited. Even at 4:00am.

I learned an important lesson today. That’s what I love about this challenge. It forces us to think about what we are doing, how we are doing it, and why we are doing it. We get better as we go.

I have been rising early for a while now and it truly has become a habit. I rise crazy-early because of my family schedule beginning at 6:00 am. My alarm is set for 4:30, but today I woke naturally at 4:00 (for the third day in a row). This is the only quiet time I have in a day and I don’t want to waste it.

But I did waste it. Not the whole time, I got my act together eventually, but the morning was not as productive as it could have been because I went to sleep without a plan.

When I woke, I felt lost. I was awake but wandering.

Fortunately, I have a routine I go through each morning so I was able to begin there. The first thing I do when I wake is drink a large glass of water and turn on the coffee maker. I then empty the dishwasher which helps to get my blood pumping and my muscles moving. From there, I sit down at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee. It was great to have this routine in place.

It was a good start but I quickly realized that I had no plan for the remainder of my morning time and the clock was ticking away. Watching the clock tick away is not a productive use of time but that’s how much of my time was spent today.

I try to use my early morning hours for high impact activities that require uninterrupted quiet time. Short-term planning is not one of those activities. I am often able to plan and make lists at other times of the day, so I have decided that I don’t want to spend precious early morning hours that way.

This is another example of how a great morning really begins the night before. Before I turn in tonight (at a reasonable time), I will be certain to have a plan for tomorrow morning.